FODR Board Minutes

March 29, 2022

 

Present: Jerry Harmon, Brocade Wu, Dick Althouse, Fred Woods, Ron Franzese, and Rick Mercurio

Minutes and Treasurer’s Report: Jerry opened the meeting at 2 p.m. at Dick’s home. The minutes from the February meeting were approved by acclamation. Rick had emailed to the Board the final February line item accounting and March to-date.

Interpretive Trail: Rick has been continuing to work with partners on the signs. He has just received the first two completed signs, both of bird species, and brought them to the meeting. Ron has worked on costs for a possible kiosk at the start of the trail, using plans for the Eagle Scout kiosk built at the Ranch House. Mounting and installation of the signs by volunteer labor was discussed, and Ron offered to investigate a design.

Barn Restoration: Dick, Ron and Jerry have continued to work on weekends, strengthening the framing.

Social Media & website: Brocade says she posts something each week on social media. A FODR enthusiast, Dave Roberts, sends wildlife photos of Daley Ranch to Brocade which she posts. Those photos are getting a great response. As for the website, she said that Don Piller has set up a development staging site, and they are working on a template design.

Status of city acquisition agreement of DR to monitor wildlife biology in the ranch: Marilyn had agreed to investigate this, and Jerry plans to connect with the City about this and other items that FODR had prioritized to the City three years ago.

Mitigation Fund status: Jerry and Marilyn have been checking into this. Jerry will contact the head of City real estate to seek information and to make sure that FODR is kept in the loop with the mitigation bank status. He also wants to know about potential open space acquisition of parcels in and around Daley Ranch.

Goals & Objectives discussion to be scheduled: Ron reiterated his belief that the Board would benefit from spending time together to discuss goals, protocols and strategies. The Board agreed. Ron will make a preliminary list of items to consider, and we can all chime in with ideas. At that point the Board will establish a date and place to hold this meeting.

Possible Bandy Shop and Blacksmithing event at the ranch: Dick had suggested this as a possibility and the Board discussed the need for shuttling folks up. Other ideas include sponsoring such an event at a location other than the Ranch House. It was decided to discuss this again at our future Goals meeting.

April Newsletter: Jerry has submitted his president’s message. Rick wrote an article featuring the new couple who are caretakers, along with their photo. Rick also has compiled a list of donors between January 2021 and March 2022. Brocade will submit a couple photos from Roberts to go with Jerry’s message.

7th grade trips: EUSD wants a meeting with us to plan next year’s trips. Before scheduling that meeting, Rick will contact City staff to make sure they are on board with continuing the trips. Rick has reached out to SDG&E seeking increased ongoing funding for the program.

Next Meeting: Friday, April 29 at 2 p.m. at the Train Depot.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Rick Mercurio, Secretary/Treasurer