Friends of Daley Ranch Board Minutes


April 13, 2006


Present: Sally Thomas, Jerry Harmon, Fred Woods, Rick Paul, Tracey Brown, Carol Stanford and Rick Mercurio


Sally opened the meeting at 7 p.m. at the home of Jerry. Minutes from the March meeting were approved. Because of the absence of Irene O’Neill, there was no treasurer’s report. Rick M. moved to reimburse Sally for the costs of postage and printing the flyer, letter, and upcoming newsletter, all related to the May 6 event. Tracey seconded and the motion passed unanimously.

Old Business included several items. Jerry is still working on ideas for strategic planning for FODR. Rick P. and Sally reported that the City may be preparing an appraisal for the Stanley Peak property for the possibility of making an offer. Fred said that CRN has a new president who will be attending our next meeting in May. The San Diego Foundation is offering a “grant-writing school,” a series of in-services to learn how to prepare funding grants. Tracey volunteered to attend; Rick M. moved to pay for this, Fred seconded, and the motion passed unanimously. Tracey said that there have been no meetings of the City’s Daley Ranch Management team; the Board continues to request that the City include FODR in all decision-making and related discussions. Rick M. will prepare a brief report on the “history” of FODR with an emphasis on the past year and this will be available for the May 6 event. Carol attended the Daley Ranch Volunteer Association meeting. She said that spraying is planned at Daley Ranch to control mosquitoes. She also said that the City hired an architect to assess the ranch house to determine its structural needs. The Board discussed membership strategies and it was decided to transfer the database into excel. Rick M. will update the database and Carol agreed to put it into the newer program.

Plans were finalized for the May 6 General Meeting. Letters to neighbors have already been sent and the Board prepared the invitations for mailing. Tracey will bring the projector and connector for Halsey’s presentation. Jerry moved to approve the expenditure of $100 for 10 of Halsey’s books which benefit the Chaparral Field Institute. Fred seconded and the motion passed unanimously. Halsey will sign these books which FODR can display on May 6 and at other events. Fred will make the necessary arrangements for Karen Larson’s San Diego Tracking Team presentation. He will also help with the light refreshments. Sally is preparing posters which will have important questions and issues for everyone to consider at the big meeting. Sally also is contacting newspapers to announce the event.


The next Board meeting will be May 11 at the Train Depot at 7 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,

Rick Mercurio