Friends of Daley Ranch Minutes



August 18, 2011

Present: Fred Woods, Sally Thomas, Rick Paul, Jerry Harmon, Mike Whalen, and Rick Mercurio

Fred opened the meeting at 7:30 p.m. at the home of Sally Thomas. The minutes from the July meeting, compiled by Sally, were approved. Rick Paul had earlier issued his treasurer’s report via email. Jerry moved to reimburse Fred $47 for a working breakfast meeting with Bob McQuead who is assisting us with the building restoration. Sally seconded and the motion passed unanimously.

Jerry has been working with Dick and Escondido officials to obtain permits for the restoration project, specifically for building #3, which FODR volunteers have completely dismantled and stored its materials. Fred will ask Bob McQuead to look over these preliminary plans to get his expert advise before presenting them to the City. Jerry also had plans for shoring up the creek that runs just west of all the buildings. Dick’s proposal for this would strengthen the bank enough to safely proceed with restoration work, while allowing the possibility of a future rock wall to match the other bank. Fred will ask Bob to also look at these plans. If we can do this, we ought to do it next, since there would be access to the creek from the now-empty site of building 3. As for seeking donations of money, materials and labor for the restoration work, Jerry suggested that FODR ask Sunrise Rotary as a first step. Mike suggested that we post a sign on one of the buildings indicating FODR’s intentions and also seeking donations or memberships. Jerry said we ought to recycle dismantled wood from the actual buildings to make this sign and perhaps frames for future uses.

FODR will sponsor a booth at Grape Day on Sept. 10, and also participate in the parade. Details were discussed regarding volunteering that day. Mike will have large photos of the restoration project.

Wendy Barker has produced another fantastic newsletter, which has now been mailed. She has indicated that it requires a great deal of effort, and she would either like to have someone else take the job or, if she continues as the editor, to get help with the grunt work of folding and stamping. Jerry will speak to Wendy tomorrow about this.

The Board discussed the Daley Ranch Volunteers Association, specifically the issue of its bank account and the authority to use its checkbook. Mike moved to name acting treasurer and DR Volunteer Rick Paul as the new authorized signatory for the Association, along with a co-signatory, president Fred Woods. Sally seconded the motion, which passed unanimously.

Rick M shared an article that indicated the possibility of the City amending the DR Master Plan to allow a new access point at Daley Ranch to connect with the Valley Center Trails system. The City would require a private staging area to be built at this site, which is north of the ranch house where the SDG&E powerline easement leaves the ranch. Sally noted that this idea had been previously discussed by the City a few years ago, and any new access points were to be predicated on their potential effects on wildlife habitat as spelled out in the Merkel report.

The next meeting will be September 15 at 7 p.m. at the Train Depot.

Respectfully submitted, Rick Mercurio, Secretary