Friends of Daley Ranch Board Minutes

August 16, 2017

 

Present: Colleen Mackinnon, Fred Woods, Rick Paul, Jerry Harmon, Dick Althouse and Rick Mercurio

 

Minutes & Treasurer’s Report: Colleen opened the meeting at 7 p.m. at the Train Depot in Grape Day Park, Escondido. The minutes from the July meeting were approved by acclamation. Rick P shared a printed treasurer’s report. He has added money from the checking account into the Ivy fund. We received two new donations. He will also handle a request for information from the California Secretary of State.

 

School Visits: All middle schools have already booked 11 dates for next year’s trips. Fred is still investigating an invoice for a fourth bus used by Bear Valley. Fred found a grant opportunity from Cox on the SD Foundation site, and Rick M will inquire. A committee comprised of Colleen, Fred, Su Scott and Rick M met recently to improve the content of the learning stations. The committee identified current science standards that align with our stations. Su will create talking points to help the rangers and docents incorporate those standards in the presentations. Also, we will look for “activities” for the students at stations where applicable.

The committee met with Liz, a fifth grade teacher at Conway. A possible program at DR was brainstormed, with students to be divided into four groups, who would rotate around four habitats, with learning activities coordinated by the teachers. This one day visit would occur in January.

 

Building Restoration: Dick is still busy working at DR. He enlisted the help of a young man named Marshall, whose labor earned community service through the education COMPACT. Dick figures he may need another three weekends of work. He discussed a donated “dump wagon” that was actually used at DR. It is disassembled and stored in the garage utility building. It needs wheels, and various options for providing them were discussed, including enlisting the talents of Phil Ewing. Dick visited the Steam Museum in Vista to get ideas. He suggested visiting the Jamul Daley Ranch for models for this antique machine.

Colleen has been working with Ann Van Leer from TECC on ideas to fund a new structure at the “Residence,” located on the hill across the road from the ranch house. We may look for guidance from a historic architect, and possibly from the Sikes Adobe, which was rebuilt after a fire.

Colleen has acquired furnishings for the Foreman’s Quarters, and Dick may help transport them there. That structure has suffered from vandalism to the window and lock; Dick and Jim will see about repairs.

 

Second Sunday: Fred will look into purchasing sandwich signs declaring “Ranch House Open Today from 11-2.” He suggested the other side of the sign could have information about FODR. These signs could be placed on the road near the ranch house, and another possibly near the main entrance. Colleen will assist Fred on this project by composing wording to advertise the November lunch. Fred also coordinated the purchase and placement of a new sign with FODR’s mission statement at the main entrance. Rick M hiked to the ranch house this last Sunday, the second of the month, in order to perform docent duties, only to find the house closed. Apparently the rangers were unable to get someone to work the open house, but they had not put up a notice to the public of the closure. Rick M will contact Dan H about this.

 

Grape Day: This year’s Grape Day Festival is slated for October 7 from 2-8 p.m. FODR will sponsor a booth, and all Board members will be asked to help that day. Colleen moved to authorize $35 for the fee. Rick M seconded and the motion passed unanimously. We will highlight Save1000Acres, and we hope to have maps displayed.

 

November Lunch: This will be our third consecutive annual event, and we will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of the opening of the DR Preserve. Colleen plans to send out postcards in late September. FODR needs to secure a shuttle bus for that day, Nov. 12, through the City. We will ask members to RSVP. Colleen figures she will need a budget of about $700 for lunch and other expenses. The Board discussed possible keynote speakers, and Rick P volunteered to lead a hike. Rick M will be a docent at the ranch house.

 

Next Meeting: The next meeting will be on Wednesday, September 20 at the Train Depot at 7 p.m. It will feature a representative from the proposed development of the Daley Ranch Resort, a hotel and residential project to be located east of DR and west of Valley Center Road. Colleen will send out an email invitation to our membership for this presentation. FODR has many questions and concerns regarding potential edge effects, and impacts on the wildlife corridor between DR and open spaces to the east.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Rick Mercurio, Secretary