Friends of Daley Ranch Board Minutes

February 17, 2016

 

 

 

Present: Fred Woods, Rick Paul, Colleen Mackinnon, Jerry Harmon, Rick Mercurio, and Su Scott

 

Minutes and Treasurerís Report: The minutes from Januaryís Annual Retreat were approved by acclamation. Rick P had no updates from the most recent treasurerís report. He intends to work on filing tax return forms using new software over the next month or so. The Board is grateful for his energy!

 

County Grant: Fred sent a letter to the county explaining that we used their grant for the building restoration project, but the informational panels part of the grant request has not yet been completed. Rick M moved to reimburse the county $8,733.35 for the unused portion of the grant. Colleen seconded, and the motion passed unanimously. The Board agreed to discuss our continued pursuit of the informational panels at future meetings.

 

Building Restoration: Dick has made tremendous progress on Building 3. It is nearing completion thanks to Dickís efforts along with others. Rick M wondered whether the Foremanís Quarters building might someday be made available for public viewing on certain occasions. If so, we could put period specific furnishings and decorations inside, including such things as a bed, dresser, and fixtures. The Board agreed with this idea, and Colleen volunteered to investigate possibilities. Rick M moved to appropriate up to $500 as a tentative budget for Colleen. Rick P seconded and the motion passed unanimously.

 

School Trips: Fred has been busy organizing for the upcoming 11 school visits, with Bear Valley the first ones on March 1 and 2. He met earlier today with rangers and docents to finalize plans. Buses will take students up to the ranch house area and back down, to provide more time at the stations. For a new learning station, rangers have developed a short nature hike to explain plant life and other features in the landscape. Su volunteered to help prepare teachers for the trips. Rick M will send her pre and post student surveys used in 2013 as a model for this yearís. Fred noted that our website has useful teacher resources, and he will connect with Su for other pre-trip information.

 

Newsletter: The next scheduled newsletter is April. The Board wants the school trips to be the main article. Fred and Su discussed the necessity of getting parental permission for studentsí photos. Other article ideas are welcome, and will be considered at the next meeting. Bruce Swanson, newsletter editor, is looking for ways to improve the emailed newsletter. The Board liked the idea of Mail Chimp, which should be good quality and also has special features that might prove useful. Rick M will connect with Bruce and Don Piller about this.

 

Interpretive Displays: The Board agreed to pursue the idea of movable interpretive displays for public viewing at the ranch house. Rick M has drafted a letter to the City, which the Board approved. He will follow up on this item.

 

Second Sunday: Dick Althouse attended the most recent Second Sunday at the ranch house. In March, Colleen and Rick M plan to be there, and set up a FODR presence for outreach.

 

Budget: The Board thanked Colleen and Rick P for their good work on this working document. Colleen updated the Board on the calendar section of the budget, and it was agreed to add items and projects to the calendar as they arise. Accordingly, Colleen announced items that have been scheduled already, and added others.

 

Insurance: The Board discussed insurance options, specifically participant/volunteer accident policies, hopefully with the possibility of riders for specific events. Colleen volunteered to continue to pursue this matter.

 

Next Meeting: The next meeting is scheduled for March 16 at 6 p.m. The Board politely requests that Dick be the host.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Rick Mercurio, secretary