Friends of Daley Ranch Board Minutes

June 16, 2020

This meeting was held virtually via Google Meet. Participants were Colleen MacKinnon, Jerry Harmon, Fred Woods, Denise Harter, Dick Althouse and Rick Mercurio.

Colleen opened the meeting at 4 p.m. Denise moved, and Rick seconded, to approve the minutes from the previous meeting. The motion passed unanimously.

Denise had sent the treasurerís report previously via email. Nothing else new was reported. Fred asked for clarification about the income statement and YTD Budget to Actual regarding spent funds and unspent funds on the 7th grade program.

A draft FODR Board Manual was created by Denise and Colleen, and all Board members now have a link to access it. They are attempting to communicate all of FODRís policies, which could serve as an introductory welcome document for new Board members. It includes by-laws, norms, and procedures, some of which FODR had not previously considered. Colleen asked each Board member to closely examine the draft manual, and to add comments on the actual online document, or to forward our comments to Colleen to add. She would like us to make some final decisions at our next meeting.

Denise explained the Naturalist Study Group she has created. The five positive responders include Ranger Kathy. This will be a way to understand wildlife tracking, and lead to actual field work and follow up discussions. It will take six weeks, and include exercises, and readings. Denise said it is a work in progress.

Rick reminded the Board that the July newsletter deadline will be June 30. One item left over from the previous newsletter is the article on FODRís award from the Escondido Union School District, along with a photo. Denise would like to include items for the July newsletter. Alternately, if we have too much content, some pieces could be sent to our membership as email blasts via Mail Chimp. One idea is anecdotes of individual users who want to share their ďtestimonialsĒ of their experiences at DR. Denise will write an article about the FODR photo contest and include the poster she has created for the contest, which has been advertised with that poster placed around Daley Ranch and other locations around the city. Colleen will write a brief summer presidentís message update. Fred will look into a future story about big donors to FODR.

Dick has been working with an architect in order to make changes to his barn restoration plans. He is working toward getting permits from the City. He has conversed with a Valley Center resident who has some old farm equipment, including a hay wagon. Dick would like to offer some cash for this, and the Board was in favor of this. Rick says that funds could come from the San Diego Foundation 7th grade grant monies, which have been extended for 10 months, since historic farm equipment will likely be part of the new virtual field trip program.

Denise received a request from an individual, Emily Barrel, to erect a memorial bench in honor of a long time DR user. Emily said she was willing to pay the costs. Jerry, who had been in charge of building and siting our other two memorial benches, reminded us that we would need approval from the City appearance committee. Jerry said that the costs for our past benches were not substantial, but he believes we ought to establish guidelines for exactly where these could be located. He will explore this, and Denise will look into other memorial benches in the region.

The next meeting will be a teleconference on Google Meet at 4 p.m. on July 21. A strategy meeting is set for August 14, 2020 same time and method.

Respectfully submitted,

Rick Mercurio, Secretary