Friends of Daley Ranch Minutes

May 19, 2011


Present: Fred Woods, Rick Paul, Jerry Harmon, Mike Whalen, Sally Thomas, Dick Althouse, and Rick Mercurio

 

     Fred opened the meeting at 7 p.m. at the Train Depot, Grape Day Park, Escondido. The minutes from the previous meeting were approved. Rick Paul had already furnished the May treasurer’s report. He noted that we had two renewals and some cash. He also had the application for Grape Day, to be held Sept. 10. Rick M moved to approve the $35 fee to participate in Grape Day. Fred seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.

     The plant sign project was a big success. It culminated May 7 with the installation by the Sunrise Rotary and scout volunteers, along with FODR Board members. Mike did a quality control inspection the following day and said everything looked great. The mountain mahogany sign is the only one in question. FODR provided the lunch and drinks for the workers and the rangers. Rick M moved to reimburse Sally $72.79 for the drinks and ice. Mike seconded and the motion passed unanimously. Rick P submitted a letter to the NC Times thanking Rotary. Rick M will write thank you letters to the others who made the project possible: Frontier Fence, Aelott Air Conditioning, All Star Signs, and Sunrise Rotary.

     Jerry suggested that FODR offer to make a presentation, with plenty of photos/slides, to the Sunrise Rotary Club about the plant sign project so that their full membership can appreciate what they did. At this presentation we could try to “recruit” a member or two to join the FODR Board. We could also let them know about our restoration of the utility buildings in order to invite their future cooperation. Rick M will mention the presentation idea in his thank you letter to them.

     In order to publicize the plant sign project, Sally suggested that FODR establish a Facebook page to post photos. Rick P agreed to look into this.

     The Board discussed the utility building project. Dick said that next steps include documenting the present condition of the structures with photos and possibly drawings. Fred mentioned that he already has many photos and measurements that he and Rick M obtained a couple years ago. Also, we will need to be able to label each part of the structures when they are disassembled. Dick thought it best to keep work parties to just 3 or 4 people. Some items he will need include bars, hammers, tags, and markers.  Fred will contact Bob McQuead to apprise him. Mike made a contact with a representative from Murphy’s Fine Woodworking who could help us. We will also be looking for helpers from Rotary and the History Center. A “reconnaissance” outing was scheduled for this Sunday, May 22, meeting at 1 p.m. at the La Honda entrance.

     We are hoping that Wendy and Sally can produce a newsletter soon. Mike will send in photos from the plant sign project. Fred can send in photos of the utility buildings. Rick M will send copies of the thank you letters. Fred will write a president’s message.

     The next meeting will be at Jerry’s home in Escondido at 6 p.m. on June 16.

 

Respectfully submitted,



Rick Mercurio, Secretary