Friends of Daley Ranch Board Minutes

October 21, 2015

 
Present: Fred Woods, Rick Paul, Colleen Mackinnon, Rick Mercurio and Su Scott
 
Minutes and Treasurer’s Report: Fred opened the meeting at 7 p.m. at the Train Depot in Grape Day Park, Escondido. Colleen moved to approve the minutes from the September meeting written by Su. Fred seconded and the motion passed unanimously.
Rick P emailed the treasurer’s report earlier in the day, as well as presenting a printed copy at the meeting. Rick P moved to reimburse Colleen for expenses related to the postcard invitation to the Nov. 8 event: $87.50 for postage and $84.20 for printing. Rick M seconded and the motion passed unanimously. Colleen moved to reimburse Rick M for expenses related to the just-completed newsletter: $115.56 for printing and $73.50 for postage. Rick P seconded and the motion passed unanimously. Fred requested that we officially thank the ECF and SDG&E for their grants. Rick M will write these; Colleen will create a letterhead.
 
Newsletter: The Board thanks Bruce Swanson for stepping up and agreeing to become our newsletter editor. He did a good job on his first issue, which was mailed and emailed this week. Rick M hand wrote reminders on the addresses of newsletter recipients who had last donated more than one year ago: “Time to renew,” with an arrow to their renewal date. For recipients who signed up for a complimentary newsletter he hand wrote “Please consider donating” with an arrow to the comp line at the top of the address label. We shall see if this may bring in more donations.
 
Nov. 8 Event: Colleen has spearheaded organization for this event. She is monitoring rsvps in order to buy the right amount of food and beverages. We will use picnic tables already located near the ranch house, as well as other tables and chairs supplied by Su. Rick P will lead a nature hike at 9:30. Fred worked with the City who will supply a 20 passenger vehicle for shuttling. The Board hopes the 4 hour time frame for that shuttle could be 10:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Rick M will ask Jerry Harmon to organize a program/speech, in addition to remarks by Fred, to honor people who have contributed to FODR, either/or in terms of money or efforts. For publicity, the Board thanked Colleen for producing and mailing the postcard invitations. Rick M sent out press releases to several newspapers. The newsletter has an article about the event. And Rick P will send out another email blast to our membership in about 10 days or so. The Board also brainstormed other people and groups we may consider inviting.
 
County Grant Deadline: Fred noted that we have a February deadline for accounting purposes regarding the grant we received from Supervisor Roberts’ office. At the November meeting Fred would like to get input from Jim about the informational panel progress, and from Dick about the restoration project, in order to determine whether we may need to ask for an extension. Also, Fred would like to know the date of the next work party for the utility buildings because publicity photos may be requested.
 
School Visits: Fred said that currently 11 trips are scheduled for March, April and May. He attached the proposed budget for funds received from the Escondido Charitable Foundation. Fred and Rick M will meet with the Ranger staff on Nov. 6 to discuss requests for capital expenses, and to plan this year’s program.
Su brought a copy of the curriculum standards for middle school. She is willing to re-examine the goals and content of our six learning stations and for the field trips in general, in order to make suggestions and to align the program with the standards. Su said she believes the field trips mesh well with the existing “Ecosystems” standards. She is also willing to consider revisions to the student work packet. The Board brainstormed our goals and the current program, and Su will report back her suggestions at a subsequent meeting. The Board thanked Su for her help on this.
 
New Budget Procedures: Rick P presented his new template for the FODR budget, after emailing it to the Board and asking for, and receiving, input. The Board agreed with this format, and Rick P will begin to use it as the Board establishes specifics at the January retreat meeting.
Colleen unveiled a proposal for FODR to establish and maintain a budget, including a timeline. Under this plan, a leader or committee would be named for each separate project or task. The leader would complete a budget proposal worksheet for that project by the November meeting, when the Board would schedule a “hearing” to consider it. The individual project budgets would be approved at the January retreat meeting, and putting them together using Rick P’s new format, the FODR master budget for the upcoming calendar year would be created. The Board liked Colleen’s proposal, thanking her for her hard work, and will move forward with it. Colleen also presented a document involving procedures and protocols for organizational change. The Board will take a look at this for future consideration.
 
Escondido Creek Impact: Rick P told the Board about an EIR that is being developed by the Olivenhain Trunk Sewer Improvement Project. This involves developing new access to the outfall water pipe that runs along, or near, Escondido Creek. Habitat may be negatively affected depending on which option is selected, and how much disturbance may result. FODR was notified since Daley Ranch lies within the Escondido Creek watershed. Rick P is hopeful that the Escondido Creek Conservancy will keep a close eye on this issue.
 
Next Meetings: The next regular meeting will be hosted by Su Scott at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, November 18. Her address is 1969 Quail Glen Road, Escondido 92029, located in Del Dios near Lake Hodges.
FODR will not hold a December meeting.
The January retreat is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, January 16, at 9 a.m. at the home of Rick M in Valley Center.
Respectfully submitted,
Rick Mercurio, Secretary