FODR Board Minutes

October 25, 2022


Present: Jerry Harmon, Brocade Wu, Fred Woods, Marilyn Ramirez, Ron Franzese, Dick Althouse, and Rick Mercurio; guests Dave Roberts and Bob Stromberg. Jerry opened the meeting at 2 p.m. at the train depot in Grape Day Park, Escondido.

Minutes and Treasurer’s Report:  The minutes from the September meeting were approved by acclamation. Rick had emailed the final September treasurer’s report and the October to-date yesterday. He noted that we lost a contact address for George Sardina, and Jerry agreed to ask TECC for this information.

Dave Roberts: Dave is an avid photographer who has posted many inspiring wildlife photos on the Friends of Daley Ranch Facebook page. Brocade says his photos have received thousands of “likes.” He brought his basic motion-activated camera that he uses as well as a powered camera that can use a 300 feet cable. His cost breakdown was presented for various options. The Board discussed possibilities of using such devices to monitor and record wildlife in the area near the Ranch House where we could tap power. Other ideas were to install the portable, less expensive cameras that need no power supply. Jerry suggested formation of a committee to look into this further, with the City and possibly CSUSM involved. Marilyn, Brocade and Rick agreed to serve.

Old Business: At the June meeting, following a discussion about fundraising and membership for FODR, Fred said he would contact either the San Diego or Escondido Foundations for any advice. Jerry said he would contact TECC for the same reason. After discussing various options for membership outreach, Rick agreed to draft a personalized email to be sent to those who receive the printed newsletter but have not donated in some time. He will run the draft past the Board before sending them out.

Interpretive Trail: Rick now has all 11 signs along with 12 pieces of mounting hardware. He reached out to the Palomar Audubon Society, which agreed to design another sign to be placed at the site of their native plant garden near the Ranch House. He has set November 9 at 9 a.m., meeting at the La Honda gate, for interested parties to help decide the specific locations for the signs along the agreed-upon loop: Middle Pond to East Ridge to Ranch House Road. All Board members are invited.

Rick asked for advice for volunteers to help install the signs and to build a small kiosk. The live-in caretaker, Zach, is a possibility. Fred will reach out to Rotary clubs. Rick will try to contact Zach and Jim S to work with himself and Dick on the kiosk. Ron will take the Boy Scout kiosk plans to Dick to examine.

School Visits: Fred has reached out to the Rangers to arrange a planning meeting for this spring’s trips. Rick inquired about finding a replacement for Fred as trip coordinator for the following year. Fred will draft an email to the EUSD community to see if anyone can help identify a possible replacement who may be interested.

Biological Monitoring: At the previous Board meeting Darren Parker from the City indicated that due to lack of funding, the City was not planning to conduct a thorough biological study at Daley Ranch. The Board had expressed its desire that the City use funds from the sale of mitigation credits to pay for regularly scheduled monitoring. Jerry and Marilyn have formed a sub-committee to follow up with the City. Rick will try to find information about the previous agreement from 2020 among the City, FODR and the Wildlife Agencies regarding biological monitoring.

Barn Restoration: Dick now has received approval for a updated plans. It will require less plywood than originally called for, and other improvements. Dick and the other volunteers will begin their work parties, with the first meeting on the first Saturday of November.

Movable Interpretive Display: Rick will ask the City and Zach about this idea. Marilyn has checked with Fast Signs on a movable sandwich style sign for events with changeable wording. FODR will keep this information to use if and when we choose.

Annual Picnic: This is set for March 25, 2023 at 10 a.m. Brocade will put together some ideas for planning before the next meeting.

Website: Don and Brocade have met to plan a new website, after Don put together a skeleton. In order to set up the development site, the hosting company, WP, charged FODR $44.37 to our debit card for authority to work on this until December. Brocade shared a couple ideas that she and Don are planning for the new website.

Newsletter: Rick could interview the new superintendent of Daley Ranch for a feature article in the January newsletter. Lee Dezan’s photos can continue to be used as “filler.” We will need to advertise the March 25 picnic and we could list those members who have donated.

Next Meeting: Tuesday, Nov. 29, at 2 p.m. at the Train Depot.


Respectfully submitted,

Rick Mercurio